Sunday June 11th-Tuesday June 13th, 2017 The Summit will be held at the Life Sciences Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
The intent of this summit, organized by the Life Science Institute, University of British Columbia, in partnership with the Personalized Medicine Initiative, GenomeBC and LifeScience BC, is to make recommendations on the best practices for the implementation of Personalized Medicine (PM) in British Columbia and Canada. In many ways BC constitutes an ideal testing ground for putting a Personalized Medicine programme into practice, with its highly integrated single payer health care system, its ethnically diverse, well educated population, and its advanced expertise in the development and application of molecularly-based medicine.
Leading international experts will provide overview lectures to give global perspective, and will also serve as panel members to discuss the key issues involved in the implementation of best practices for a broad Personalized Medicine programme. The deliverable of the summit meeting will be a Green Paper containing recommendations to stakeholder groups (BC and Canadian governments, industry, physicians and health care providers, educators, researchers, populace) in the following areas:
- Implementation of a Personalized Medicine program for British Columbia:
- Use pharmacogenomics and other ‘omics’ analyses to guide diagnosis and treatment
- Bioinformatics: managing, interpreting and using big data in a new system of data consolidation and access, to improve health care in BC
- Education of stakeholder groups on various aspects of Personalized Medicine and ethical issues surrounding the implementation of a Personalized Medicine program
- Application of Personalized Medicine to improve the economic outcomes of the health care system by improving value for money
- Use of Personalized Medicine in the prevention of disease and the maintenance of wellness
- Investment in basic and translational research to advance Personalized Medicine discoveries, our interpretation of Personalized Medicine breakthroughs using evidence-based methods, and translation of new knowledge into practice
The summit promises to be one of the most important personalized medicine conferences of the coming year in terms of making concrete recommendations for implementation into the front lines of medical care. It is particularly important for implementation of molecularly-based personalized medicine approaches into clinical practice in BC.